When you feel buffeted by the world, take care of yourself – create a personal space
What you do, for yourself and others, has a ripple effect that spreads wide.
Often, when consutling clients with families I notice two things:
- The focus is on setting up their home for hectic family life.
- The parents, especially the moms, have no place of their own – a room, cozy corner oe personal space just for themselves.
Fact: Life is hectic; and with children it is exponentially more hectic.
- Kids have their own rooms to use as a personal space, a personal retreat
- Men have man caves or workshops where they can escape.
- Women rarely have a place of their own. (Master bedrooms don’t count, they are shared spaces.)
Everyone needs a space to call their own. A place to re-connect with yourself and re-charge.
What is minimally needed for a personal space? A comfortable chair, a good lamp and a table for your mug of coffee or glass of wine. A space to just “be”.
Where to set up?
A spare room? You’re golden!
Make the space yours with artwork, big bulletin boards for your inpirations. a larger table for crafts, writing, exploring. Floor space for exercise or meditation.
An under used guest room?
Rethink the space and what’s in it.
Set-up the room, or at least a corner of the room for you.
No spare space? If you have a family room and an underused living room, stake a claim to that place. Make it comfortable and welcoming for you.
Setting up a personal space for yourself is being kind to yourself.
If you have kids and feel guilty about creating a personal space and making time for yourself, this is a chance to role-model for your children.
- Show your daughters it’s OK for a mother to take time for herself.
- Show your sons it’s improtant for the women in their life to have me-time.
Create time and space for yourself, to re-connect and re-charge. This is essential, not a luxury. You will be happier for it, and the people in your world will be happier too.
What you do for yourself, you are doing for others…”
View other articles on creating space for yourself:
Want a space to call your own? Need help? Contact me. Together we create a personal space that nourishes you and uses what you already own.
Please share your comments in the space below.
graphic by author